Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tomatoes, how I love thee




Our garden is bursting with delicious juicy tomatoes, one of summer's greatest gifts.
I have a new favorite recipe - Bread and Tomato Salad. Here's a simple and delicious recipe from Ann M. Evans and Georgeanne Brennan, two of my favorite food mavens of Northern California who happen to live near me.

This recipe was printed as part of their column "From the Ground Up," in the Davis Enterprise on Aug. 9, 2009.

Bon Appetite, baby!

Bread & Tomato Salad

A great use for old bread! Choose a coarse-crumbed bread. If desired, add chicken pieces rolled in bread crumbs and fried until golden.

Ingredients:
½ loaf of 2-3 day old, coarse-crumbed bread such as a baguette or olive or walnut bread
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
¼ to ½ cup small basil leaves, or torn if large

Putting it together:
Trim crusts from bread and discard. Cut bread into ½ inch cubes. Set aside. If the bread is still quite soft, put a little olive oil in skillet and sauté the bread until golden, turning several times. [I toast it.]

In the bottom of a salad bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and turn gently. Add the bread and basil, turn several times and serve immediately.

Serves 4 as an appetizer or side dish.

Lyra’s notes: I have used any nice multigrain or wheat bread and a vcariety of olive oils. I toast the bread if it’s too dry. I don’t cut crusts off bread. I tend to use more tomatoes than the recipe calls for. And I eat bowls of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment