Monday, October 12, 2009

Endless Summer ends...




I think I've reached the period after a big ol' change (leaving a job after 21 years) when the spirit calms down enough to notice: "Whoa...am I on the right BART car? Is this my stop?" The change has been startlingly terrific, and,it has its own issues--the main one seems to be, "I can't see ahead.(Could I ever?)."

Some of this has been precipitated by "a change in the weather" (thanks, Credence Clearwater). I feel like summer is truly behind me -- and that was the last time I thought I knew what I was doing. NorCal's first big storm is due tonight, and I'm very ready for it -- but maybe not what comes after.

Here at the homestead on Bucklebury Road, we've almost finished the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes thank-you notes, and my decluttering whirlwind is slowing down. I'm facing some core questions about our belongings. Where do I store what we're keeping? It's hard to keep things visible so they can be used, but if we don't use them, why the heck keep them?

Seems kinda obvious and maybe minor, but an organized, cleared out space feels like the kernel of my creativity. Does that sound too metaphysical? My sweet friend Neal worded it just right as he tried to describe how he and his companion Mackenzie felt as they explored Canarvon Gorge in New Zealand: "This place is an oasis on the land and in the mind. We felt mystically surreal as ancient forest spirits rode eternal lightbeams into our pseudo-human emotion receptacles. Just kidding :-"

Lightbeams aside, I haven't forgotten about writing, radio commentaries, critique groups, voice over work - irons in every little flame; it all seems on slow simmer -- like the curried chicken I made Saturday, or garnet-red clear pomegranate jelly Alan cooked and bottled over the weekend.

Let the rain begin!

[Since I'm crap at formatting captions, images above are: JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes at State Capitol (our 8th, dang it); Josh hanging a few at Malibu Pier at end of summer; Lyra, Taj & Big Sur first day of fall (our anniversary)]

No comments:

Post a Comment