Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday eve...

I used to dread Sunday evenings -- school or work the next day. As an adult, I began to relax about Sunday nights during the summer, especially. The rich, thick quiet and heat of Davis summer nights gently drew away the fear. Knowing that fewer people are in town during the summers took away whatever 'stage fright' a new week seemed to bring. And 2 weeks into my next incarnation (retired from University), especially since it's July, makes it all the more sweet - no fears, soft heat, quiet, opportunity.

As a child, my mother soothed Sunday evenings by bringing our dinner into her bed where we'd all watch the 5:30 p.m. Sunday movie - the classics starring Dorothy Lamour, Spencer Tracy, Kathryn Hepburn, Clark Gable, Victor Mature and other stars from her youth in the '30s and '40s. My sister, Mom and I got lost in the stories and elegance and were able to go to bed ready for the week. Dad was often working on the farm in Yuba City, while we watched the movies in Santa Monica, part of the 'company town' scope of Hollywood.

My son still gets 'the Sunday feeling,' and finds comfort in the fact that I know exactly what he means. He's a Los Angeles-area high school teacher, and his life revolves around the academic calendar. That rhythm affects us here, too, in Davis, because it's a university town.

But -- those feelings are from my past, and now I treasure each evening. Off to bed for Part 1 of the night for me;>)

No comments:

Post a Comment